Saturday, 2 August 2008

Camera and Controls - Heretic 2

Over the past few months I've been looking at different forms on game controls, since fluid controls will be a crucial aspect to my game. I've always thought TAcT would be a third person game, but I was always unsure how to maximise the aiming and immersion found in first-person games, since there is a FPS element to TAcT.


A few weeks ago I decided to impliment a 3rd person camera similar to that found in Heretic 2, and allow the player to choose between joypad or mouse, although for the prototype, joypad would be the prefered option for ease of use in Virtools.




Heretic II plays from a behind-the-back third-person perspective, with controls a lot like a first-person shooter, but it's different enough to look and feel not just like a any other shooter. The third-person perspective gives the game a more "adventure game" feel, rather than just a "shoot em up"" - which is the mix I want for TAcT.


No comments: