Friday, 1 August 2008

TAcT - prototype update

Character Issues

I've spent alot of time trying to get the Sam character used in TAcT's prototype up and running - both the 'normal' and the meshbombed versions:The two meshes didn't work properly in Virtools so I tried countless variations of snapshotting, reset xforming, looking through controllers and mesh modifiying.





Eventually I tried with the stock characters we have been given to use that have been tested in Virtools. The meshbombed version didn't work here either, so there's some issue with a meshbombed mesh.


The basic workflow I used was:



  • physique and reset xform mesh
  • apply meshbomb to mesh
  • take a snapshot of mesh at suitable point on timeline
  • copy mesh
  • select and save to new file
  • reset xform
  • collapse down to editable poly (or mesh)
  • physique

The character behaved properly with an idle animation, but would jump back to it's starting spot when walking or running. Also it would turn around the initial starting point, rather than in reference to it's current position.

The most obvious issue was that the envelopes were not catching all of the deformed mesh. However even with the meshes grossly enlarged so that the character resembled a bloated michelin man, the same problem occurred.

After talking to Jon I spent one more day trying new fixes then decided to leave the effect for now!


The Island

The island has had a intial texture with basic UV mapping. Taking Sam into the world in Virtools helps me see where geometry needs to be modified and where texture joins appear too brutal.

I've spent last night looking at Vertex Painting to blend textures. Some textures, especially the path, look very artificial because they abut each other without feathering. I'd like to learn V.Paint to not only blend and feather textures, but also do the same with bump maps so different rock areas can have different bump mapping. E.g. higher rock is smoothed more because it would be more eroded, whilst rock lower down can have a more pronounced rough texture.

Couldn't work out how to use V.Paint successfully, or the 'Assign To' function when using it with multi/sub-object texturing in 3D Max. I felt I ALMOST got there, but I didn't want to waste too much time, so after a day of experimentation, I thought it best to leave it until I can find someone to demonstrate how to use it for my particular situation.

So here's the island unblended, with the new Sam character. The water texture seems to show white ATM unfortunately, so I need to check that again in Virtools:





Worklist
About a month to go before hand-in. The design document is going to be the toughie, because I still have questions about the story - a couple of ideas that I still can't answer when I ask myself 'WHY does that happen?" and some story progression.

I'm going to spend most of my non-GDD-writing time on Virtools, to sort out some or all of these issues:

  • camera
  • controls

  • putting the multimap into the final prototype

  • including the inventory

  • creating the '2D' frame for the construct mode

  • particles for energy transfer from Sam

  • Atom design and movement

  • Putting it all together

  • Poster

  • Box art


There might be time to make 'doodle', but I'd rather get the gameplay sorted ATM.

No comments: