Getting sick of blogs already. Scrolling up and down a list of info with no way to group and organise the random tidbits into a sensible order is irritating. I don't want to be in 5 blogs, x forums and n networking groups, where n is a number from 6-67.
I've been looking more at CMS's (content management systems) with a view to turning Caramelcentre.com into a website that hosts my blog and maybe a forum or somesuch other device that allows me to partition my info into distinct groups and is easier to read than blogs.
After trawling the net and trying out different CMS's on sites like http://www.opensourcecms.com/ and trying to see if I can make a website online asset management system cheaply (eg http://www.thecorpament.com/default.html), I found some game design webauthors who were in the same predicament:
Managing Content
If we make content easy for people to create, they will create more of it. If it's a hassle to create content, they'll create less of it. Case in point: my own website. It's all html and when I write a new article, there's about 6 different places I have to hand-edit something. It's really amazingly poor.
Unfortuantely, researching and installing various CMS's (content management systems) is all I've been doing for weeks now, so I've no time to actually write any content! The state of the CMS offerings out there right now is pretty bad, too. If you just want a forum, vBulletin is the best (that part's easy!). If you just want a blog, then Blogger is decent and Wordpress is good. But what if you want articles separate from blogs, articles with a summary and cover image that don't appear in the articles themselves, one page that lists all article summaries by date, another that lists all recent blog posts, a front page that lists som articles and some blogs (each displayed differently), and other stuff like that? It's quite a task to get a sidebar that automatically lists every single article by category, like I have on my current site.
So what's out there to do all this stuff? Drupal has a lot of features, but is hopelessly difficult to wrestle and no designed for non-technical people. Mambo...well I think the main developers left to create Joomla, so if you wanted Mambo, you might as well use the newer Joomla. I'm wary of both of them for some reason, even though I've hardly tried them. Subdreamer seems lacking. vbadvnced isn't up to the task. The integration between vbulletin and drupal found in "vb drupal" comes at too high of a price (a totally non-standard and unsupported version of drupal). ArticleLive has promise, but seems too hard to customize. EvoArticles has promise, but doesn't even have a working demo on its site. Wordpress is great for what it does, and pretty terrible for doing anything other than a straight blog (forget doing real articles on it).
So I uploaded drupal to one site, and joomla to another to see if i can work with them. Boring stuff, in a way not game-related, but a blog won't suffice for asset collation and storage.
Wednesday, 10 October 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment